top of page

riverglen Group

Public·279 members
Alfred Kornilov
Alfred Kornilov

Bare Metal Recovery Windows 2008

Sometimes, you may be confronted with software and hardware problems and consequently some irretrievable damage would occur to your Server 2008 (R2) operating system. If a bare metal recovery image has been created in advance, you could easily restore the whole server backup image to regain the appointed system state. Generally, there are four major reasons for running bare metal restore:

bare metal recovery windows 2008

Step 6. In Operation Summary page, check Universal Restore to ensure the system is bootable after recovery. Then, click Start Restore to begin bare metal recovery.

I have went through all the documents related to windows server backup.but they didnt clear my doubts.So which backup should i use to get all my settings and files.When i restore it i should get all the settings like before?Is there any option to do it? can bare metal backup will help or any other?

Solutions provider takeaway: In this chapter excerpt, you will get the steps required to perform both a bare-metal recovery and system state recovery in Windows Server 2008 R2. There is also information on recovering system state data containing Active Directory data and how to use Windows system recovery tools.

To perform a system state recovery of your Windows Server 2008 R2 server containing Active Directory information, you need to boot the operating system into Directory Services Restore Mode (DSRM). Specifically, you will be performing an authoritative restore.

Sometimes you run into problems that a simple file restore or a system state recovery cannot fix. If you have created a bare-metal recovery image, then you can recover your full server using the recovery process. This recovery process is different from recovering just files or the system state. The bare-metal recovery process is part of the Windows Recovery Environment, and to get to it, you need a Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD to boot the operating system to, and you need access to the drive containing the bare-metal backup. Typical USB drives can work really well in this scenario presuming your BIOS supports USB at boot.

Additionally, this recovery process is destructive, meaning when you run a bare-metal recovery all the data on your drives will be replaced with data from the system image. You also have the potential during the recovery process to partition and format the drives, in other words, restoring the server completely to a previous working state.

During the bare-metal restore process, you saw an option to load the Windows system recovery tools. The Windows system recovery tools provide you with three options to further troubleshoot your environment:

While using MSP360 Backup with Windows Server 2008 R2 for system state backup or bare metal restore you need to specify the interim storage location for the software to put backup files that will then be uploaded to the cloud. As interim storage, you can use logical drive or network share.

Second, you will need to manually create a backup script for bare-metal restore (see the example later in the post). Backup logic will be the same as with Windows Server 2008R2: local backup followed by cloud backup. Below is the step by step guide for Windows 7 backup for bare-metal restore.

Note: if you don't want to store results of an intermediate step of bare metal backup, you can create the BAT file that will delete these files. Specify it in the Post Actions field and your files will be deleted from interim storage when cloud backup is done.

We created a local folder for interim backup storage. We also created the BAT file with a script to start the WBADMIN utility. We created a backup plan in MSP360 Backup to move backups to the cloud. Thus, we created the backup plan that will automatically run to put backup for bare-metal restore to the cloud.

Note: You can skip Pre/Post Actions and interim folder steps, if you manually execute the command for WBADMIN, and then specify the folder with bare-metal data at plan creation in MSP360 Backup.

A backup for bare metal recovery (BMR) includes the system state and critical disks. BMR enables you to restore a server without having to rebuild the operating system, and to perform the restore offline.

Bare-metal restore is a technique in the field of data recovery and restoration where the backed up data is available in a form that allows one to restore a computer system from "bare metal", i.e. without any requirements as to previously installed software or operating system.

Typically, the backed up data includes the necessary operating system, applications and data components to rebuild or restore the backed up system to an entirely separate piece of hardware. In some configurations, the hardware receiving the restore needs to have an identical configuration to the hardware that was the source of the backup, although virtualization techniques and careful planning can enable a bare-metal restore to a hardware configuration different from the original.

Disk imaging applications enable bare-metal restores by storing copies (images) of the entire contents of hard disks to networked or other external storage, and then writing those images to other physical disks. The disk image application itself can include an entire operating system, bootable from a live CD or network file server, which contains all the required application code to create and restore the disk images.

The dd utility on a Linux boot CD can be used to copy file systems between disk images and disk partitions to effect a bare-metal backup and recovery. These disk images can then be used as input to a new partition of the same type but equal or larger size, or alternatively a variety of virtualization technologies as they often represent a more accessible but less efficient representation of the data on the original partition.

Microsoft introduced a new backup utility (Wbadmin) into Windows Server 2008 family of operating system in 2008 which has built-in support for bare-metal recovery. Users of this software can also recover their system to a Hyper-V virtual machine.[1]

Bare metal technology is used for disaster recovery of protected assets. Use the procedures in this chapter to set up bare metal protection for your Windows assets and to recover failed Windows assets. (To recover the Unitrends appliance itself, see Appliance Disaster Recovery. To set up bare metal protection for assets running other operating systems, see the Bare Metal Protection and Recovery Guide.)

With image-based BMR, you must run bare metal backups and create a separate bare metal ISO for each Windows asset you want to protect. You perform image-based BMR by booting from the asset's bare metal ISO. Image-based BMR can protect older versions of Windows that are not supported by unified BMR.

It is recommended to use unified BMR where possible. The following table provides a high-level comparison of unified and image-based hot bare metal recovery. To set up bare metal protection, see the following topics:

VM2 - blank 2008 R2 virtual machine on a different bit of storage. I've configured the Vmware settings to be identical to VM1. I want to boot VM2 off the Server 2008 R2 ISO DVD and choose a system image recovery, but the problem I have is that the disk drives aren't recognized by Windows system restore (there's an option to load drivers, but I don't know where to get the drivers from). I've copied the Windows backup from VM1 to one of the local drives on VM2.

If you use the recovery procedure as is ( out of the box ) the recovery partition will be created and Windows will be installed but...the partitions will not be correct. In my case the primary partitions on a 500G drive were created as C: 48.8G (20.6G free) and D: 9.76G (9.20G free). Now, do you know how to partition a bare drive?

check out below windows dissimilar system recovery videos (more in depth) for windows bmr dr for reference. You may not require all the steps if you are not doing recovery onto different target host than original.

The bare metal recovery tool is available for an additional cost and is fully supported via the Bacula Systems subscription (also including Bacula Enterprise). Whether you already benefit from Bacula Enterprise today, or are considering switching to Bacula Enterprise, contact us for further details on how we can help you implement low cost bare metal restore in your data center.

The bare metal recovery method can be used to recover entire Microsoft Windows systems in the event the system has completely failed and no other recovery options are available. With a bare metal recovery, all data, settings, applications, and operating system are installed to a bare metal system (no operating system installed).

The Barracuda Backup Bare Metal Recovery (BMR) kit is used to create a bootable ISO based on WinPE. This enables you to perform a physical-to-physical (P2P) or physical-to-virtual (P2V) bare metal restore of your Microsoft Windows Server without installing an operating system first.

Before you build a BMR ISO, you must install the Windows ADK and the Windows PE add-on for the ADK. The scripts included in the Barracuda Backup BMR kit use this software to generate an ISO used for bare metal recovery.

If the server being restored was an Exchange, SQL, or Hyper-V server, the application is installed after the bare metal restore; hohe databases or guest virtual machines (VMs) must be restored separately.

Please note: the instructions outlined here are available in the Windows Server Backup help file. Using Windows Server backup on Windows Server 2008 you can recover your server operating system or the entire server. An operating system restore will only recover critical drive volumes that contain system components; conduct the full server recovery should you wish to restore all volumes. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page